Do you have at least a decade of regulatory experience, with some exposure to the transportation sector? Are you looking for an in-house counsel position in a city that’s big enough to have everything you need, but small enough for you to regularly bump into people you know? Then Lateral Link Principal Amy Savage and Cadence Counsel Sr. Director Kristina Marlow may have a job for you!
A role at the cutting edge of transportation regulation
As Senior Counsel for Volvo’s growing autonomous (driverless) transportation business, you would be instrumental in building its legal and compliance department in the United States. You would be responsible for counseling the company on issues related to transportation regulatory rules; this will involve interacting with federal agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Transportation (including the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration), and providing legal counsel on related regulations such as EPA’s Clean Air Act and NHTSA’s Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. You would work closely with global Volvo Autonomous Solutions AB counsel in Europe and will travel periodically to Sweden.
Work for an industry leader with a collaborative culture
Volvo Autonomous Solutions is a division within the AB Volvo Group of companies. A highly-regarded and well-managed industry leader known for its collaborative and innovative environment, Volvo Group is committed to paving the way towards a more sustainable future. Not only will electric, connected, and autonomous vehicles help increase safety and reduce environmental footprint, but they will also improve logistics efficiency across transport and infrastructure segments. By taking a holistic approach and utilizing the latest technology, Volvo seeks to optimize the transportation of goods, people, and material.
In this position, you will become a key member of an international legal team that offers unmatched opportunities for personal and professional development. You will take an active role in the day-to-day business operations of the group and will have the opportunity to shape issues and establish company policies in an evolving practice area.
Live in an ideally-sized, low-cost city
According to the recently released index of emerging housing markets compiled by The Wall Street Journal and Realtor.com, this opening is located in one of the top metro areas for home buyers looking for an appreciating housing market, a strong local economy, and appealing lifestyle amenities. North Carolina’s Piedmont Triad offers a cost of living below the national average and housing costs significantly lower than in many other major metro areas. Not only are commutes stress-free, but you’ll be located within a short jaunt to and from the major cities in North Carolina. There’s no shortage of things to do! Locals can spend a day in the mountains to the west or head east for a beach weekend. Or they can stay closer to home and enjoy Greensboro’s delicious food, craft beer, and great coffee shops. Admittedly, NC’s summers can be very hot and humid, but winters are milder than in cities to the north. And you’ll enjoy the variety of four distinct seasons. Relocation financial assistance may be provided.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school and active membership in at least one state bar
- Minimum 10+ years of experience practicing in this area
- Current knowledge of trends, developments, and practices in the transportation regulatory space
- Expert knowledge of transportation regulation in the United States, including EPA’s Clean Air Act, NHTSA’s FMVSS, and DOT’s FMCSA
- Experience with supply chains, hub-to-hub transport, mining, quarries, and/or logistics would be ideal but are not required
- Demonstrated capabilities in interfacing and negotiating with relevant authorities, such as DOT including NHTSA
- Demonstrated success working with C-Suite executive and partnering with engineers and other non-attorneys on compliance programs
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business solutions
Essential Interpersonal Skills
- Strong ethics and integrity
- The poise, maturity and judgment to inspire confidence among legal, business, and technical audiences inside and outside the company
- The ability to build trusting relationships with subordinates, colleagues, and superiors within the company
- Strong business savvy
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, hard-charging, entrepreneurial environment
- The ability to remain calm under pressure
- Intellectual curiosity and high energy
- A team orientation and excellent interpersonal skills
- Proactively support relevant product development, certification, and compliance functions with relevant legal advice to ensure that the Volvo Group products introduced into commerce in the United States are, and remain, fully compliant with all applicable emissions, certification, and other legal requirements.
- Provide legal support as required in conjunction with communications with authorities (such as EPA and DOT).
- Provide input and legal support in development of compliance, policies, directives, guidelines, templates, and processes relating to Volvo Group products in the United States market and globally.
- Manage evaluation and selection of outside counsel.
- Assist in the development of and deliver training programs related to relevant regulatory requirements and laws.
How to apply
Top law firms and corporate legal departments worldwide have partnered with Lateral Link as their go-to legal recruiter for almost two decades. With offices in more than a dozen cities across the United States and Asia, Lateral Link has relied upon its established relationships and best-in-class recruiting team of former practicing attorneys to attract and deliver the best legal talent. Its recruiters have completed thousands of successful placements at law firms, in-house, and in temporary staffing positions.
Cadence Counsel — a certified Women’s Business Enterprise — is one of the nation’s largest suppliers of in-house lawyers. Its recruiters include former practicing attorneys and award-winning consultants who provide executive search and interim attorney placement services, document review staffing, and diversity & development consulting to Fortune 500 law departments, sports franchises, technology organizations, public utilities, and more.